Members of the uniformed division of the U.S. Secret Service walk in front of the White House, on December 18, 2014 in Washington, D.C. Secret Service said Saturday a man reportedly shot himself near the White house. File photo by Kevin Dietsch/UPI | License Photo
March 3 (UPI) — The male who shot himself along the White House’s north fence on Saturday morning is dead.
Medical personnel were called to respond to the male victim, but he was declared dead at the scene, the U.S. Secret Service said. The Secret Service and Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department are withholding the victim’s name until his family is notified, a Secret Service release stated.
“At approximately 11:46 a.m., a white male victim suffered a self-inflicted gun-shot wound to the head outside the North White House Fence,” the release stated. While approaching the north White House fence line, he “removed a concealed handgun and fired several rounds, none of which appear at this time to have been directed towards the White House,” Secret Service said.
The incident affected pedestrian and vehicular traffic around the White House, Secret Service said earlier on Twitter.
President Donald Trump was spending Saturday at his club in Palm Beach, Fla., at the time of the reported gunshot Saturday.
“We are aware of the incident,” White House deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley told CNN. “The president has been briefed.”
No other reported injuries were reported.
The Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department is the lead investigative organization for the shooting, supported by the Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies.
Read more http://tinyurl.com/y9glhh6y